Here are some other ways to see fabulous theater at bargainista prices:
- Wait until the last minute and then use discount ticket sites such as tkts for New York and Goldstar for Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, DC Metro, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York, Orange County, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle.
- Volunteer or work at the theater. I’ve always thought working as an usher at a very good theater was just the coolest job. The pay isn’t great, but you get to see some of the best actors in action.
- Group ticket sales. For some theaters, a group is as few as 10 people. Groups get excellent discounts and sometimes the person who organizes it gets a free ticket.
- See theater that is less well known. TheaterExtras is a seat-filling audience development organization that gives complimentary tickets in New York and Los Angeles to its members. For the price of a Broadway ticket, you can get practically free tickets all year. There are also special savings for members of a theatrical union, student or senior citizen. Indicate that I referred you (bobbisbargains) and I’ll get a little credit as well.
- Check to see if your city is part of the Artsopolis Network, which provides listings of free local events and discount tickets. Some of the cities that are included are Boston, Phoenix, Nashville, Flint, Grand Forks and Philadelphia. Sorry New York and Los Angeles – no site for you, but you have plenty of other cool sites.
No matter how you do it, go to the theater and support the arts. Do you know of other ways to get great deals on theater and entertainment venues?