Friday, September 19, 2008

Free Online Language Learning Site

When I was in high school and college, I was forced to "learn" French despite my protests that I would never have a need for it.  I did NOT learn French and I have not had a need for it.  Well, actually that is not true.  I learned enough French to confuse me when I try to speak Spanish, a language that I have a great need to know every day.

So, now I am trying to learn Spanish.  I've got a stack of tapes, CDs, books and workbooks by the side of my bed.  So far, I know how to say "hello," "supermarket," & "hat."  If I can find someone named "supermarket hat," I can start a great conversation.

Meanwhile, people speak Spanish, all around me, every day and I have no idea what they are talking about.

I am ready to take the Spanish Language Learning plunge again on a new Free Online Language Learning Site that I just found: busuu.com

I have no idea what "busuu" means, but it looks like a really cool site.

You can learn various languages - not just Spanish - and get connected up online to people around the world who speak that language and want to help you.  AND... you get to help other people learn to speak English.

This site is currently in Beta, so it might not always be free.  Check it out now.

Here are a few more free online language services:
123TeachMe.com
HowToSayIn.com
iGoogle translator

Adiós (which means "goodbye" in Spanish).  See, I'm already learning.

No comments: