Monday, January 12, 2009

Free Valentine's Presents that Ladies Love

Many years ago, in the early years of our romance, my husband bought me a dozen roses on Valentine's Day. They were BEAUTIFUL!! Long stemmed red roses. Just like the posters and romantic novels. How romantic.

A few week's later (the flowers had long since dead and tossed in the garbage) I saw the credit card bill for those roses - $80!! WHAT!! I couldn't believe it. I had no idea how much money flowers went for on Valentine's Day. (and this was long before the current inflation) All I could think was what else I could have done with that $80.

Since that day, I have forbidden my husband to buy me flowers on Valentine's Day. Instead, I insist that he MAKE me something special. Something that doesn't cost any money... BUT, it HAS to be romantic.

Poor guy. What a thing to do to him.

However, because I have made this demand; I have received wonderful poems, fabulous sculptures, scrumptious meals and even a song or two.

These have lasted far longer than the few days that the flowers would have lasted.

So guys (and gals)... the very, very best Valentine's Day presents are ones from the heart. They DO take time, so you can't grab them at the last minute. You have to start early.

Here are some ideas:

Poetry - good or bad - if it says from the heart - I LOVE YOU - it will be a winner. But, in case you don't know where to start, here are some opening lines:
- You are so perfect...
- My life has been changed for the better because of you...
- When I think of our life together...
- I can't imagine my life without you...
- 100 things that I love about you
- When I think of you, I smile because...
- Until there was you...
Oh.... just go on and on.

A card - with some prose inside. Same as above - good or bad - I love you BECAUSE you ARE ______ (fill in the blank)

A slide show with pictures and romantic music. Oh, gentleman, this could REALLY get you brownie points if you remember YOUR song and have pictures of your times together.

A special day full of the things that your partner loves - a walk through the park holding hands, a romantic movie (NOT a thriller or action movie), homemade dinner by candlelight, followed by...

Slow dancing in the living room to a CD/mp3 of romantic songs that you specially created. Maybe even wrote and sang yourself (how about on bended knee)?

Believe me, THIS will work. Don't be afraid of what the other guys will say... as far as I can tell, the other guys are trying to figure out the same thing.

This is Mama B's gift to you. Use it wisely. By the way, the day AFTER Valentine's Day I always buy flowers... they are dirt cheap then.

2 comments:

Pauly Heller said...

Great ideas, Bob. I feel the same way about flowers. I told Alan I'd rather get an African violet, so I can kill it gradually. :-)

KJ said...

I'm sending my husband the link to this post IMMEDIATELY!