Sunday, June 20, 2010

Appreciation 101

Recently I received an unexpected “Thank You” present. It arrived with a note of appreciation. The gift wasn’t a trip around the world or four dozen long stemmed roses. It was a Klutz book superhero starter kit with a red cape. I had mentioned in a recent article I wrote for Bargain Babe that it was something I would like. Never in a million years did I think anyone would actually get it for me. But the receiving of this item from the Bargain Babe herself, with an acknowledging note means more to me than many, many gifts I have ever received.

Why? Because we all want to have our efforts recognized. We would like to have someone else see that we are working hard and doing the best that we can.

This recognition can be as simple as a nod and a smile or as complicated as having a national holiday proclaimed in your name. There is a lot of ground in between those two extremes. But the important thing is to DO IT!

Too many people go through their lives thinking that they should say something nice to someone and then don't do it. I've even had people tell me that they don't have time to acknowledge the accomplishments of those around them. I say, that they don't have time NOT to notice them. For sure, people don't enjoy working in an environment where their efforts are not noted. If once a day every single person noticed and commented upon another person’s positive attribute or accomplishment, this world would be a much better place to live.

With the advent of online shopping, the momentary desire to acknowledge someone’s efforts is just a few clicks away. Amazon.com is the undisputed online superstore. From one-of-a-kind Star Trek paraphernalia to the always appreciated gift card, there is something for everyone on your thank you list.

But don't feel that you have to buy someone a gift to say "atta boy" or "thank you" or "you're swell." A simple note or email or sincere words goes a long way.

One of the greatest treasures that we have is our ability to make another person feel better about themselves and thus enhance our world. This gift is free, but it is priceless. Spread it around.
----
A reader just sent me this link that belongs with Appreciation 101. Click, read, cry and learn:
The Teacher

No comments: