Friday, January 11, 2008

Couch Surfing - A Couch in Every Port

This is SUCH a cool idea! A site that helps you find free accomodations all over the world.

When I lived in New York City, I had an apartment the size of a postage stamp. BUT.... that apartment had an extra couch. Because I had this place that people could "crash" when they were in the Big Apple, I met the NEATEST people.

I had a girl from South Africa stay with me. I met a wonderful woman from France that I am friends with to this day. I could always say, "Oh, have them come and spend the night at my place."

Because I built up so many "couch Karma points".... I have always be able to find couches to crash on when I needed them.

Well, now there is this awesome website where you can sign up and offer up your "couch" and look for a couch. There are people all over the world who are part of this group.

I haven't used this site yet myself, but I did check it out. I also read a posting from someone about how they used this service when they were driving cross country with their family. They LOVED it. Saved them a bundle of money and created lasting memories.

I think this site is going to make it possible for people to travel the world on a shoestring and make lifelong friends.

They have checks in place to help make this safe. You can read their site to find out more about this. If you are the extremely cautionary type or if you have the ability to "find" trouble, then I guess this wouldn't be for you. However, if adventure and meeting new people and having new experiences is on your agenda, then I think that CouchSurfing.org will be your "Hitchhiker's Guide to a Place to Stay."

No comments: